Spray Poolcoat Application Guidelines and recommendations for swimming pool re-coating.
Poolcoats and gelcoats are a critical part of the fibre-reinforced composite swimming pools materials as they enhance both the performance and the appearance of the finished composite. However, product quality and consistency alone cannot guarantee trouble-free production for the composite manufacturer.
The following are guidelines to assist the customer achieve the best results with our range of spray poolcoats.
• Ensure that all surface coats and barriercoats are removed by coarse rotary machine abrasion.
• Any areas of the laminate that exhibit air or bubbles need to be repaired appropriately by re-laminating that area with NCS 991 PAMV in combination with CSM.
• Flatten out the surface by filling any deep gouges or surface irregularities using NCS 52 PAS Bonding Paste, mixed with Butanox M50 at 1,5%.
• The substrate surface must be clean and dry before the application of Atprime 2.
• Atprime 2 should be mixed according to the data sheet (4:1) and applied at a rate of approximately 200gm by brush or short pile mohair roller.
• Atprime 2 should be laminated over once cured but, but no longer than 24 hours.
• Lamination over the primed surface will be done using glass (ECR) tissue in conjunction with NCS 991 PAMV Isopthalic resin. In order to achieve the minimum resin content of 90% in the tissue, at least 270g of resin will need to be laminated into the tissue per m . Ensure that the minimum catalyst level of 2% is added to the resin and stirred in prior to laminating. It is essential to achieve good cure in this thin laminate.
• For colour homogeneity use the same batch of Poolcoat or if more than one batch is used mix the batches together before using.
• Prior to the application of the Poolcoat ensure that it has been adequately mixed. • Allow the Poolcoat to stand for 10-15 minutes.
• Ensure that the Poolcoat is between 18-23 C. Poolcoat should not be applied below 15 C.
• Ensure the weighing area is clean and free of contaminants.
• Wearing the appropriate protective clothing, accurately weigh out the required amount of poolcoat into a clean container.
• Add the correct amount of Butanox M50 catalyst (between 1 – 2.5% depending on the ambient temperature) and mix thoroughly with a clean mixing apparatus to ensure even distribution through the Poolcoat.
• Avoid applying the Poolcoat onto a hot surface when the ambient temperature is high.
• Using ES Cup Gun G100 and Fluid Nozzle # 6, spray the Poolcoat from a distance of 500 to 600mm from the target using between 4 and 6 bar input line air pressure. Lower pressure means 2 slower material deposition but a smoother finish. Build the wet film thickness to approximately 700 microns gradually and allow to cure. For an even smoother surface finish, a further reapplication of Poolcoat can be done once the first layer has cured and has been abraded very well, leaving no shiny areas, flattening protrusions and ensuring a complete surface roughening using 150 grit dry orbital sanding process and hand sanding.
• Avoid excessive thickness and runs where possible as this will lead to slumping or sagging.
• Minimise drips and runs wherever possible (by applying at correct film thickness).
• Avoid very thin applications (<300μm) as this will lead to poor cure.
• Use a wet film thickness gauge to measure the Poolcoat thickness during application. The recommended thickness is 600 – 800 microns.
• The film must not be disturbed once cure has begun. The cure time will depend on catalyst level and temperature during application.
The information herein is to assist customers in determining whether our products are suitable for their applications. Our products are intended for sale to industrial and commercial customers. We request that customers inspect and test our products before use and satisfy themselves as to contents and suitability. Nothing herein shall constitute any other warranty expressed or implied, including any warranty of merchantability or fitness, nor is protection from any law or patent to be inferred. All patent rights are reserved. The exclusive remedy for all proven claims is replacement of our materials, and in no event shall we be liable for special, incidental, or consequential damages. Ou standard conditions of contract will apply to all sales.